Hello bloggers,
So after reading the "Say it Ain't So" thing, I was just very upset ad needed to take a break from Huck Finn. And this is why:
I just did not like Smiley's point of view on it. She think's everyone is racist besides Harriet Beecher Stowe because she wrote Uncle Tom's Cabin. I don't think she is very creditable because I'm pretty sure UTC was an exaggerated story that Stowe wrote and she never even visited the south. Twain did research by living in the north and the south and having friends and family with both opinions. I have other thoughts as well but thought I'd start with this and see what you guys think.
I agree when you said you didnt think she was a creditable source. She seemed to just be attacking the book. Once she started to make accusations and only pointed out the bad things in the book and her opinions were based on, well, her opinions. It made the whole thing like a rant. I believed Huck finn more because I knew that he had knowledge of both the north and south; he had both sides of the slavery story while Smiley referenced just the slaves and didn't take into account society's view on the situation at all from what she referenced.
ReplyDeleteI mostly agree with both David and you, I think that Smiley was very aggressive toward the story. Now with that being said, I also thought Smiley had some valid points... even though Twain wrote a parody and made fun of the southern and racism to a degree .. she saw it disturbing and a serious matter, which many people do.. I understand why she could have been turn off towards this book. Smiley wasn't able to dig to the deeper meaning of Twains story. In Uncle tom's cabin it is written in black and white, so to compare the two book is a bit idiotic.
ReplyDelete