Okay so here are some of the questions i had after reading the chapters, feel free to answer any of them!
1. why do you think Huck refers back to Tom Sawyer? He also says things like "Do you reckon Tom Sawyer would ever go by this thing? Not for pie he wouldn't." (pg 60) Do you think he is trying to impress himself by saying he is being like his "role model" or do you have other thoughts?
2. Why do you think Huckleberry pulls another prank on Jim? The first time it was more to show his superstitions were fake (although they turned out to hold some truth), but this time it did not have any motive behind it.
Lastly, In class we talked about if we think Huck is raciest. This quote: "It was 15 minutes beforeI could work myself up to go and humble myself....but it done it, and i warn't ever sorry for it afterward, neither. i didn't do him no more mean tricks, and i wouldn't done that one if I'd 'a'knowed it would make him feel that way." (page 78)
I think makes us think if he is or not. because he talks about how it was hard to say sorry, but he also thinks of his feelings...what do you guys think?
1. I wasn't thinking of this that way! This makes a lot of sense. Like i know, as a kid, I would always try to impress the one who i felt was in charge and the one who came up with those crazy ideas so i get where Huck is coming from. I feel Like I can relate to Huck in a way because I've never been that person to come up with ideas I just reinforce them.
ReplyDelete2. I was confused by this swell. Jim seems to be helping Huck along this whole journey and has never done anything wrong to Huck. So there might be a hint of racism inside of him like what we talked about in class.
3. Here, Huck imagined himself in "Jim's place" and even when he was thinking like Jim, he still inside didn't think he had to apologize for what he did. Huck here seemed to kind of acknowledge that Jim had feelings and he didnt want to hurt him again. He seems to be doing a kind of "trial and error" with Jim because hes never been so close to a slave before and isn't sure what to think of the whole situation.
That makes sense David. I never thought of the Tom thing that way because I'm in older sibling so i wasn't ever like told what to do, in that kind of way.
Delete